Archive for 2/95th Rifles Forum Forum site for 2nd Battalion 95th Rifles Re-enactment Society

       2/95th Rifles Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
Ben Townsend

Brigade Report on Waterloo

His Britannic Majesty’s 4th Infantry Brigade
British Army of the Low Countries
General W Ellis Jones G.O.C Anglo Allied Forces, Low Countries Expedition
Major General M Haynes, G.O.C British Division, Low Countries Expedition
Major General P Twist, G.O.C, Crown Forces North America, (Honorary Colonel 4th Infantry Brigade).
Dispatch relating to Brigade operations 13th to 21st June 1815
An account of the recent operations of 4th Infantry Brigade,
Colonel Robert K Yuill, late HM 68th Durham Regiment, Light Infantry commanding.
In the recent campaign fought in the Low Countries, to the south of Brussels near the villages
of Brain L’Alleud and Waterloo between the 13th and 21st June ’15.
Preliminary Moves & Preparations
The Brigade having received orders to move to support His Majesty’s forces in the Netherlands and concentrate with the remainder of the army in the vicinity of Brussels, the commander met with senior staff in Bath on 13th June. Early on the 14th, orders having been issued for the Brigade units to march, Brigade Headquarters embarked at Dover aboard H.M.T Pride of Kent.
After an uneventful crossing and swift disembarkation in the Low Countries, we made a fast route towards the village of Waterloo, south of Brussels where we had been ordered to assemble.
On meeting up with staff from the AQMG’s department we were allocated a bivouac area in the vicinity of Le Chateau de Hougemont near the village of Braine L’Alleud.
15th and 16th June were spent in preparation to receive the units of The Brigade as they arrived. Unit lines were demarked in preparation for the flag men of each detachment to arrive.
The 4th Brigade consisted of two Battalions of Detachments, a strong Company of Skirmishers and Brigade Corps of Music. The Brigade composition was as follows:
1st Battalion of Detachments: (Major Macfarlane 33rd Comd’ing, drawn from Northern Military District).
2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards
33rd (1st West Riding of Yorkshire) Regiment of Foot (Reinforced with drafts from the 68th Durham Regiment Light Infantry)
51st (2nd West Riding of Yorkshire) Regiment of Foot, Light Infantry
2nd Battalion of Detachments: (Lt Col. Williams Comd’ing, from His Majesty’s North American Garrison).
1st Regiment of Foot, Royal Scots; Grenadier and Light Company.
6th Regiment of Foot Lt. Coy
41st Regiment of Foot
49th Regiment of Foot Grenadiers and Centre Coys
89th Regiment of Foot
10th Royal Veterans
Royal Newfoundland Regiment
De Meuron’s Regiment
Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
York Militia
Brigade Skirmishers Company 2nd Battalion 95th (Capt. Lynch’s Coy)
Brigade Music Corps of Drums (Drum Major Flowers)
The first unit to arrive was The Coldstream Guards who were to perform various guard and ceremonial duties both locally and in Brussels, relating to balls and ceremonies including members of the Royal Households of the House of Orange and the Court of St. James. (It is understood the Prince of Wales was in attendance).
Their arrival was quickly followed by The 51st Light infantry, then 2/95th Rifles and the 33rd Regiment detachments over the next two days. The 1st Batt was complete in its lines by the 17th June. The Detachments comprising the 2nd Battalion had advanced as far as Brussels by this date and arrived, with an impressive entry into camp with the Corps of Music at the head, the following day, the 18th.
It is with deep regret that I have to record here the first Brigade casualty. Shortly after arrival, 2nd Battalion received a fatality. Pte Glenn Stott, serving with the De Meuron detachment, died of natural causes. It is with true sadness we marked his passing, and honoured his memory, with the whole Brigade.
Throughout the 16th and 17th June, we continued to receive reports of major actions taking place between the French under Napoleon himself, and our Prussian allies to our east in the vicinity of Ligny and Wavre. It became clear that we could expect a general engagement soon.
General Headquarters had established near to the Brigade, as was Divisional Headquaters. Division was commanded by Major General M Haynes, the Army by General W Ellis-Jones. His Grace The Duke of Wellington and his Royal Highness The Prince of Orange were also present with the army.
The Division was complete by the 18th June and along with supporting Corps from The Royal Dutch Army, The Kingdom of Prussia and other ‘German’ states formed the Army.
The Army is engaged. The First Day, 19th June.
On the 18th following some indication from Division, the Brigade Commander and unit commanders conducted a reconnaissance over the ground where it was believed we may face the French. We observed a small complex of buildings the Brigade was to garrison and support, called Petite Hougemont. The Defence of this position was to be entrusted to The Coldstream Guards and 51st Light Infantry initially. Throughout that day and the 19th we engaged, along with the other elements of the Army in a number of Brigade Drills. All was action, in anticipation of the general engagement.
At around 5pm on the 19th we observed the general movement of our artillery, going to our east and the action was eagerly anticipated. Shortly after the Brigade received orders to march and engage the French. The Brigade formed, and was to lead the Division. Skirmishers were deployed forward to lead, Corps of Music behind, with the remainder of the Brigade following in column of route with the right (1st Bn) in front. By 6pm The Division was ready to move and we set of along the Ohain road, following our Dutch allies. We had a difficult march, not hard by distance but made tedious by the various halts imposed upon us and by the press of numbers on the roads both civilian and military alike. The soldiers endured the many delays with fortitude and good humour.
We passed through the Farm of La Haye Sainte, occupied by elements of the Kings German Legion Light Battalions since the 17th. Here we received a halt of 2hours, imposing much delay on the army, due to a collapsed causeway. 4th Brigade fared better than most being in the farm courtyard, rather than stuck on the open tracks further to the rear. When the advance recommenced, the Brigade moved forward to the positions previously reconnoitred.
The ground was rolling farm land, covered in crops of rye some 3 to 4 feet high, sufficient to help conceal a man from view when kneeling down. A number of ridges ran east-west, two in particular forming a steep and deep re-entrant at the western end, and immediately to the front of our position. This slope lessened to the east. On our position above this re-entrant sat Petite Hougemont, to our east where the ground levelled into a
smoother sloping valley were other buildings, Petite La Haye, where the soldiers of The Kings Germans now deployed in garrison. The weather was overcast and very hot and humid, which made all very thirsty. There was a threat of rain in the air.
4th Brigade formed the Right Flank of the allied line. The Coldstream Guards, supported by the 51st LI, formed the core Garrison of Petite Hougemont and fortified it. They were reinforced with the Grenadier Coy 1st Regiment of Foot (Royal Scots) and the 49th Regiment & IMUC detachments. The Brigade skirmishes moved south down into the re-entrant forming a piquet in extended chain order with which to observe and resist any French movements. The remainder of the Brigade formed a little further to the North, up the ridge, to the rear left of the buildings, in order to gain some elevation over the position, the better to support the defenders from and observe the actions of the enemy. In this position we were supported on our right by a battery of Dutch artillery and on our left by a battery of HM Royal Horse Artillery. Having detached a little under half the Brigade strength to the garrison (less the skirmishers) The Brigade Commander was concerned that he had insufficient strength to support both flanks of the complex simultaneously.
The remainder of the division and allied army was strung out from this point to the east along the ridges south of the Ohain Road. A reinforcement from the Prussians advancing from the east was eagerly anticipated. The French were already in the field and seemed superior in numbers to our force.
Our Skirmishers found themselves in an exchange of fire with French skirmishers to our front left. An insignificant number to seriously threaten the 2/95th. Skirmishers supporting Petite La Haye were also engaged around this time though by much superior numbers than faced us. The remainder of the army was no sooner deployed onto the field than a general engagement commenced with an exchange of artillery fire between the two armies across the valley.
The French attacks were concentrated on the Dutch, 3rd & 2nd Brigades on the left of the line to our east, and on the troops in the centre around Petite La Haye. 4th Brigade witnessed huge columns of Infantry supported by Cavalry massing and moving across the valley to attack the positions of 2nd and Bylandt’s Dutch Brigade. Tthey were received hotly before becoming lost to us, enveloped in smoke.
Initially the Brigade faced little more than probing attacks, easily withstood by the 2/95th, and the fire from our artillery was quite intense. An attack was now observed developing against Petite La Haye, but the men of Colonel Lange’s KGL held them off. Three columns of troops were now observed breaking off from the attack on La Haye and moving diagonally across the valley towards 4th Brigades position, well supported by cavalry who fixed 4th to its positions in square, while their infantry advanced. Pressure now mounted on the 2/95th who retired facing the enemy, giving ground reluctantly and with a fight. The Lt. Coy. Royal Scots deployed forward in support to form a reserve covering the 2/95th‘s withdrawal.
The situation now became confused, the 2/95th undecided as to how to effectively break contact and form on the remainder of the Brigade. At the same time the position of Petite Hougemont came under its first direct attack and the remaining enemy columns continued to close. In order to influence the situation the Brigade commander went forward to better ascertain the situation, leaving the bulk of the Brigade under command of the deputy commander Colonel Twist. At this delicate moment the Brigade was struck by French Cavalry; Hussars and Lancers preceding their infantry. Lt. Coy. Royal Scots closed on the main body of the Brigade which formed square effectively. The second 95th took cover in the lee of Petite Hougemont leaving themselves dangerously exposed to Infantry advancing from the South. Colonel Yuill found himself with 2/95th at this time and whilst encouraging the men to move to a more advantageous position in orb received a wound from a passing lancer, but was fortunately able to continue and return to the Brigade main body.
There cavalry now most effectively pinned us in square enabling their infantry to come up close to Petite Hougemont which now received a significant assault on two sides (south and east). A Battalion of Infantry now closed on the square, while their cavalry were still so significantly present we could not adopt any other formation. The Brigade was obliged to manoeuvre in square, withdrawing to the North whilst engaging from the front and left faces. By gaining some distance we were able to lessen the effects of their fire, and our square held firm and manoeuvred well, delivering a steady fire. Their Infantry taking up so much room, the security of our square and an inability to effect the defenders of the buildings, their Cavalry moved off from
us. It was observed they fell upon the flank of 2nd Brigade which was at that time in line, and caused a great deal of trouble.
Allied cavalry appeared in support of us, driving off any remaining French cavalry and we were able to form line and commence a serious fire upon their infantry. Petite Hougemont was now hard pressed and the alarm could be heard beating on the drums from inside. 2/95th were thrown forward to reinforce the garrison and to cut their way through the French now attempting to envelop the North side and gain access through the gate there. The French in turn countered this advance and the 33rd had to be deployed to finally sweep the French out of the orchard garden north of the buildings, enabling 2/95th to get in and reinforce the garrison.
The French attacks on Petitie Hougemont were now checked, cleared from the north and receiving fire from the orchard, the east and south walls and from the main body of the Brigade to the North East of the position. It became apparent that the ground to the west was now vulnerable, covered only by the Dutch guns and with the Brigade reserve committed to the reinforcement of the garrison. If they outflanked this position they outflanked the whole allied line. Colonel Yuill requested reinforcement for the right flank and this was delivered in the form of a Swedish Battalion, detached from 1st Brigade. Arriving just as the French began to press round the west, this Battalion swept around the buildings delivering a decisive check to the enemy and then forcing them to withdraw. This Battalion then successfully held that flank for the remainder of the action. They acquitted themselves most admirably and great credit is due to their commander and his men.
We now received cavalry again, numerous charges; but the squares held and they were seen off. Petite Hougemont was holding, though its defences were shattered, huge gaping holes appearing in the assaulted walls, each hole now held by a number of muzzles and musket butts protruding forwards from the defenders. The remainder of the Brigade was now able to advance and fire and we began to drive the French back off the ridge and down into the re-entrant. Dusk was now upon us, and with the light failing; at about 9.30pm we observed the French Reserve, La Garde Imperiale, commencing a move in attacking columns, towards the allied right flank. We heard that the Prussians were fiercely engaged now to the rear and flank of the French in the east, and this enabled troops to move across to receive La Garde’s advance. 4th Brigade received orders to gain ground to the right and be prepared to wheel and enfilade the assault of La Garde Imperiale.
As the ‘tete de colonne’ was met by withering fire from 1st, 2nd & 3rd Brigades to the left, the Brigade wheeled and let fly into their flank with a series of well delivered Brigade and wing volleys. We then commenced a rolling fire by companies. Receiving fire from their front and their flanks La Garde began to withdraw and we turned our attentions to clearing the remaining troops from the front of Petite Hougemont supported by the Swedish to our right.
What French remained would not stand and the Allied advance became general, driving them from the field until we stood on the ridge where they had commenced the battle. The troops being much fatigued, we halted to rest rather than pursue. Tired, the Brigade watched their foe unbowed, marching from the field. Receiving orders to retire to positions for the night, the Brigade gathered itself together reformed and marched. It began to rain lightly and with daylight now gone at 1030pm it quit the field. The 2/95th achieved their positions shortly after 11pm, 1st Battalion, delayed behind Dutch and Germans reached their positions by Midnight, 2nd Battalion was complete in billets by 2am.
It was evident that we would need to face the French again. They had withdrawn in good order from the field and reports were already coming in of reinforcement’s en-route to their camps. Petite Hougemont had been rendered almost indefensible by this day’s action and a hard fight the following day was contemplated if the Brigade were to hold it again.
The Army is engaged. The Second Day, 20th June.
The 20th dawned clear but humid, the ground damp from the rain during the night. Formations and units across both armies roused themselves slowly to martial activity, tired from the previous day’s actions. The Brigade was soon however about its business. Ammunition was being redistributed, fresh powder drawn and more ammunition made. Rations and fuel were drawn, canteens filled. Returns of wounded came in and the casualties checked on.
The reports of French reinforcements arriving were now confirmed and as the day progressed, it was clear that another action would be fought. So the Brigade was rested as much as possible with only essential duties maintained. Pioneers, artisans and walking wounded were mustered to form a repair party for Petite Hougemont and were despatched ahead of the main move to commence work bringing it to a defensible state.
The Brigade formed at 5pm and moved, leading the Division, (same order of march as before), to the field. This time in a more rapid and less tiring advance than the previous day, the provosts having marked a more direct route which was kept clearer of civilians. Deploying to our positions of the day before, the Brigade then took ground closer to Petite Hougemeont so as to better support the position with its battered and vulnerable defences. The work party had worked hard and delivered what appeared to be substantial works all around the buildings, but close inspection showed they would be little obstacle once hard pressed. Skirmishers were deployed, the garrison established and the remainder of the Brigade piled arms resting in place by 6.30pm. The 41st Foot and De Meuron’s Regt detachments were sent forward to reinforce the buildings garrison. We were in place before the enemy and were able to observe the French forces as they came onto the field for the next 1 ½ hours. During this time the Petite Hougemont garrison continued to develop their defences. Conditions were fine. The sky was overcast and the air humid but there was no rain.
From the observed deployments of the French, it was clear that we would have more of a fight, earlier, than we had the day before. There were three battalions of Infantry with skirmishers and a battery of artillery in support, to our front right from the start. 4th Brigade was supported by the same batteries as before plus a section of guns from the Brunswick corps immediately beside Petite Hougemont. It was clear that these latter guns would need to withdraw, or risk capture as soon as the position was seriously threatened.
The Brigade stood-to at around 7.30pm and an eerie hush fell across the field at 8pm. This was soon rent by a cannonade from the French batteries across the valley. This was instantly replied to by the allied guns. Cheering went up along the lines as The Duke of Wellington let his presence be seen among the brigades. We heard similar cheering from The French and observed Napoleon on his white horse, doing the same. Our guns began to fire more furiously than they had the night before. The humidity kept the concussion of the guns low and the blast waves could be seen rippling across the standing rye and felt passing through the bodies of the men standing forward of the guns.
A large French attack developed against the armies left and we observed the columns attacking the Dutch, 2nd and 3rd Brigades as well as Petite La Haye before it became lost to us in the smoke. Our own skirmishers were decisively engaged now and being forced to give ground in the face of superior numbers. Lt. Coy. Royal Scots went forward to provide support and this time the handover of the battle happened quickly and cleanly; the 2/95th breaking off and withdrawing to the rear of the Brigade as a reserve. The flankers from the Royals continued the fight firing and retiring in the face of a Battalion coming straight up at the main Brigade position. Another Battalion went right of Petite Hougemont and another struck the southern face. The position was soon almost enveloped and fierce exchanges of musketry ensued across the whole Brigade frontage.
The Brunswick guns had been forced to withdraw after only three rounds, and had fallen back onto the Dutch Battery. The severe press of French Infantry to our right was a real concern, but Colonel Yuill had already requested of General Haynes that if he saw the flank threatened, could the 4th again receive the support of the Swedish Battalion. This was quickly achieved, by no small part due to the effectiveness of Lieut. O W Flory the ADC attached to that corps. The Swedes came over and first formed on the Brigade left delivering two battalion volleys that helped stop the approaching French battalion in its tracks. They then quickly moved round to the right flank and fell upon the French Battalion coming to the right of the buildings. They again swept around Petite Hougemont achieved surprise and blocked the advance of the assaulting Battalion. As with the previous Day, I cannot speak highly enough of the conduct of this Battalion. The discipline, manoeuvre, and determination of the officers and men of this corps were excellent and key to the preserving of the allied right flank. The Commanding Officer and his men are to be highly commended.
The infantry attack now stalled, as troops either faced rolling company fire, or attempted to break into the buildings. Their cavalry now came on us, forcing us into square. The fighting intensifying around the buildings whilst the main part of the brigade was unable to support them.
Our squares formed quickly and held well. The cavalry soon tired of us, realising they were unable to dislodge us, and they were finally seen off by repeated counter attacks from our own heavy cavalry and Anglo-Dutch light cavalry.
The Brigade formed line and the 33rd were immediately sent to relieve pressure on the garrison in the buildings. They cleared the orchard and the North gate of French at the point of bayonet and then remained to hold the ground. The Swedes were being hard pressed and Colonel Yuill sent the 2/95th to support them, with strict orders to return the moment the situation had eased. The brigade was becoming thinly stretched and being left with no reserve. The line and the buildings of Petite Hougemont were held, and working in concert with the movements of the Swedes on the right, the Brigade pushed forward and drove the French into the re-entrant. Both 4th Brigade and the Swedes were now in line with the south face of the buildings. The 2/95th were now recalled to the Brigade. Envelopment had been prevented.
Their cavalry now came on again. Their attacks were much frustrated by our squares and their proximity to the defenders of Petite Hougemont, who were able to fire on them as they passed. After repeated attacks failed they were eventually seen off again by our cavalry. Their infantry had tried to come up again as they had the day before but we manoeuvred in square and they were met by fire from the 33rd in the orchard that it came to nothing. The 33rd returned to the Brigade. The French Infantry came up again, but were held off from any serious assault, and pushed back down the slope.
A pause now occurred in the action for the allied right. A desultory fire was maintained but that was all. Through the smoke, noise and stabbing tongues of fire showed the fighting to the east was still in full flow, the ground hotly contested. The Brigade took advantage to water and redistribute ammunition. General Haynes now moved all British Brigades in line, shoulder to shoulder along the ridge from Petite Hougemont on the right, to Petite La Haye in the centre. The Prussians and Dutch Corps maintaining the fight to the east.
A cannonade commenced from the French batteries, concentrated on the British to the right of the line, and the British Division received the order to kneel down in order to lessen the effects of the fire.
The ‘Pas de Charge’ could be heard and La Garde were seen to advance in three columns support by other infantry Battalions. They skirted Petite La Haye, now abandoned by its KGL garrison and held by French troops, and headed for the kneeling British line, as if in prayer for what they were about to receive. Each column was headed by its Grenadiers in their tall bearskins. Resolutely they advanced, when they were within long musket shot the order came to stand up, and a long red wall emerged from the trodden rye.
His Grace the Duke of Wellington rode along behind each Brigade, giving words of encouragement for our task, which was simple; to halt their advance and pour fire onto them.
The far right column of the French, as we observed it, now appeared to veer to its left as if to try to move past 4th Brigade. It was well screened with voltigeurs to its front. Colonel Yuill deployed the 2/95th in skirmish order to channel them away from our flank and Petite Hougemont and towards the British centre. They had the desired effect, but the move was contrary to General Haynes wishes and he remonstrated with the Rifles for going forward, they were however only acting upon direction of their Brigade commander. The 2/95th now reformed on the left of the Brigade.
4th Brigade, along with those to its left, now delivered a series of resolute Brigade volleys which caused the French columns to halt, in order to increase the rate of fire and discourage any further advance Colonel Yuill then ordered the Brigade to fire by wings.
There was now a sudden commotion on the left of the Brigade from the position of the 2/95th, and riflemen were observed running into the remnants of a Garde column that was breaking up to their front. It appears that a number of men had observed an Eagle bearer becoming isolated and unguarded and the men, seized
with the lust of battle, had charged forward, eager to capture this unattended prize, which they did with no small tussle. 1
The Garde columns were now head on into the fire being rained upon them by 1st, 2nd and 3rd Brigades, and exposing their flank, though they were receiving limited support from some rallying infantry of the line. 4th Brigade executed a left wheel to direct fire into the flank, Col. Yuill ordering the right hand company of 1st Battalion, to refuse the flank, protecting the end of the line. The movement of this wheel was made difficult by the passage over so many fallen French to our front, but The Royal Scots Light company pressed forward and marked the new left of the 2nd Battalion and the other units were then able to conform. 2nd 95th previously protecting the pivot flank throughout, now switched flank to the right in order to give 1st Brigade more ground. It was reported around this time that the KGL had retaken Petite La Haye, ejecting its temporary lodgers with some vigour.
Once fire was coming from front and side, The Garde began to withdraw. One battalion remained resolutely in square, defiant but soon surrounded. 2nd Brigade pushed beyond them to pursue the fleeing main French Army. With redcoats on three sides and route of withdrawal cut, they ultimately gave up the fight.
A general cheering now broke out along the Army. Victory was to the allies and the French could be seen making a dejected withdrawal to the south. Orders came to move to positions for the night and the Brigade was mostly within lines by midnight.
The following morning The Army formed and made a march through the town of Waterloo, representative detachments from each Brigade taking part. With the Corps of Music from 4th Brigade leading them in, the Brigades were formed in the central square opposite the church of St Joseph, where thanks were given for victory and the fallen were remembered.
Orders were then received to return to quarters. The actions at Waterloo were ended.
From the 21st, The Brigade began to disperse back to Home quarters. Brigade Headquarters returning on H.M.T Pride of Canterbury and landing at Dover.
Colonel Yuill, Commander 4th Infantry Brigade wishes to mention the following in this dispatch, as commendation for their actions during the 19th and 20th June.
“I wish to commend all the units of 4th Brigade; all officers and other ranks; for their discipline, resolve and exemplary behaviour in the field at Mont St. Jean and Waterloo, especially those that overcame tragedy and loss, to continue resolutely, and honour both their fallen comrades and the fallen of the past with their actions. It has been an honour and a privilege to have had all ranks of 4th Brigade under my command at such a memorable action. I cannot write plaudits enough, that do your conduct and professionalism justice. Thank you all, so much, for your hard work and for being the best Brigade on the field. We may have been the smallest Brigade, and some say size has a quality all of its own, but true quality will always shine through. It was with genuine sadness that I witnessed the Brigade stand down and disperse, it had been such a pleasure to have you all under command, I wish you all the very best for the future.”
(Continued on next page)
1 The seizing of this Eagle was later confirmed by a French Officer on parole, to the Brigade Commander Col. Yuill, in conversation the next day. Colonel Perko of the 21eme who’s Battalion had been in close support to the Guard assault had heard of the Eagles capture, and wished to confirm which riflemen had captured it. The Eagle was confirmed as that of the 1eme Regiment Grenadiers de la Garde Imperiale.
His Britannic Majesty’s 4th Infantry Brigade
British Army of the Low Countries
“I wish to draw The Commanding Generals’ particular attention to the actions of those members of the Brigade, listed below.”
Private B Haworth and Pte B Townsend of the 2nd Batt. 95th (Rifle) Regiment of Foot, for swiftness of action, boldness of spirit and courage in seizing the Eagle of 1eme Regiment Grenadiers, De La Garde Imperiale. Their action hastened the enemy withdrawal and provided inspiration to the men around them.
The Corps of Drums, as a whole; for their professionalism, fortitude and skill. They delivered inspirational support to the morale of the men through the quality, mood and range of their music. They were exemplary in the execution of their duties in relaying commands along the line, and gave exceptional and rapid support to the casualties falling behind the line. Terrain or distance did not prevent them from always being where they were required. They were the pride of the Brigade and the Army and a tremendous example to all. They are a Corps of great merit.
Major R Macfarlane, 33rd Foot (1st West Riding of Yorkshire). Officer Commanding 1st Battalion of Detachments. For resolve and initiative in his support to the position of Petite Hougemont. His timely and determined action on a number of occasions cleared the enemy from the walls of the position and secured its defence on the right flank.
Major (Brevet Lt. Col) M. Thurston and Lieutenant R Crowfoot, 2nd Battalion, Coldstream Regiment of Foot Guards. For leading the resolute defence of Petite Hougemont and ensuring the position never fell to the enemy.
Lt Colonel C Williams, Major H Dennison, and Regimental Serjeant Major Headwick (Royal Scots) of 2nd Battalion of Detachments. For steadfast command, leadership and organisation, which steadied the line and preserved the Brigade at times when it was hard pressed by the enemy.
Captains: D Westhouse (Royal Scots); T Fournier (41st Foot); F Carstead (De Meuron’s Regt), and A Rittner (49th Regt). For their unfaltering leadership and command inspiring the resolve of their men in the defence of Petite Hougemont.
Captain T Saunders 11th (Devonshire) Regiment of Foot. Brigade Major 4th Infantry Brigade. For untiring and steadfast devotion to duty. His reliability and hard work were crucial to the maintenance of the Brigade in good order.
I have the honour to be Sirs, your obedient servant
Colonel, late 68th Durham Regiment LI
Commanding 4th Infantry Brigade, British Army of The Low Countries
The Sarge!

Ben thanks for posting having a real nightmare with devices and wasn't able to load the version I had from Rob.

A tremendous report !

The capture of the Eagle of the 1st Grenadiers I feel deserves a departure from the normal unit dress standards. I suggest the award of a gold wire embroidered Eagle badge on green cloth background be awarded to those Riflemen who actually put a hand to the staff of the Eagle and  be permitted to wear same on the lower right sleeve.

As a down side I will mention that the loss of several of our people to Petite Hougoumont on the second night should not have been allowed to happen - except in the case of those who were justifiably injured or unwell.
Hagman's roadie

Eddie wrote:
A tremendous report !

The capture of the Eagle of the 1st Grenadiers I feel deserves a departure from the normal unit dress standards. I suggest the award of a gold wire embroidered Eagle badge on green cloth background be awarded to those Riflemen who actually put a hand to the staff of the Eagle and  be permitted to wear same on the lower right sleeve.

I think the glory and accolade of a mention in dispatches is quite enough along with the personal sense of pride of the act in itself.
Lets not get too carried away with additional uniform bling. Before you know it everyone will want a valiant stormer badge just for fighting their way into their own tents after a heavy cider session.
Iain Dubh

A small correction to the Dispatch, it was not Glenn STott who passed away, it was Glenn SHott. Both were in attendance in different units.

I'd have carried on going for the eagle but the pioneer swinging his axe like a whirling dervish made me think again!

Ditto that Billy,  they decided to defend the eagle with much gusto when we got near it. It was a good time to stop , smile nicely and about face back to our lines. But it was fun while it lasted. At least Ben and Ben slipped by them unscathed.

I saw Townsend run past me. the axe man clearly focussed on my good looks saw me as a bigger threat ;)
Ben Townsend

       2/95th Rifles Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
Link back to main web site